If you are looking at this post then it’s for sure that you are looking for some starting point to gain weight. You might be skinny, and maybe people might taunt you. Let’s teach you how to gain weight quickly. This guide is for those who want to start working upon themselves self, i.e. their body.
But before we head out for the comprehensive detail How-To guide, you need to know Are you really skinny?
Are you Really Skinny?
As you know that Body Mass Index (also known as BMI) is the ratio of your height to your weight. With BMI, being skinny can be related to underweight. Normal weighted humans are within the range of 18.5 and 24.9 BMI. But if you fall below 18.5, you may be termed skinny or underweight.
Symptoms If You Need To Gain Weight
- You have thin skin with little or no visible fat underneath.
- You have huge eyeballs.
- You have frequent mood swings that may be a sign you are becoming too skinny.
- You have too thin arms.
- You have visibly large joints.
- If your ribs are visible.
Which food is the best to gain weight?
1. Make Protein Smoothies
Yes! You can make smoothies at home itself, and you won’t require to purchase daily from stores. I got a few right combinations of smoothies from Healthline. And would share the same here with you guys.
- Chocolate banana nut shake: Combine 1 banana, 1 scoop of chocolate whey protein and 1 tablespoon (15 ml) of peanut or another nut butter.
- Vanilla berry shake: Combine 1 cup (237 ml) of fresh or frozen mixed berries, ice, 1 cup (237 ml) of high-protein natural yogurt and 1 scoop of vanilla whey protein.
- Chocolate hazelnut shakes: Combine 15 ounces (444 ml) of chocolate milk with 1 scoop of chocolate whey protein, 1 tablespoon (15 ml) of hazelnut butter and 1 avocado.
- Caramel apple shake: Combine 1 sliced apple, 1 cup (237 ml) of natural yogurt, 1 scoop of caramel- or vanilla-flavored whey protein and 1 tablespoon (15 ml) of sugar-free caramel sauce or flavoring.
- Vanilla blueberry shake: Combine 1 cup (237 ml) of fresh or frozen blueberries, 1 scoop of vanilla whey protein, 1 cup (237 ml) of vanilla yogurt and sweetener if needed.
- Super green shake: Combine 1 cup (237 ml) of spinach, 1 avocado, 1 banana, 1 cup (237 ml) of pineapple and 1 scoop of unflavored or vanilla whey protein.
I personally like Chocolate banana nut shake. I do love chocolates a lot and on the bonus, side bananas help you to gain weight if you consume daily.
Obviously, this had to come either in the top or bottom in the list of foods that help you to gain weight. It provides a perfect balance of proteins, carbs, and fats and is a good source of calcium, as well as other vitamins and minerals.
Also, milk is an excellent protein source that provides both casein and whey proteins. Drinking around one or two glasses as a snack, with a meal, or before and after a workout if you are training.
3. Dried Fruit
Dried fruit provides antioxidants and micronutrients. Dried fruits contain a lot of fiber and most of their vitamins and minerals remain intact and thus become a source of high protein.
This is the sole reason why almost every dieting practitioner recommends having a handful of nuts and dry fruits in your daily diet. Even if anyone doesn’t like one category of dry fruits, there are hell lot number of choices that you can relish upon. Some of them are- Almonds, dates, walnuts, raisins, cashews, peanuts, pistachios are just some to mention.
Since dry fruits are loaded with such essential nutrients, they have been able to lend some medicinal benefits also.
Just one large avocado provides around 322 calories, 29 grams of fat and 17 grams of fiber.
Here is the Fact table for Avocados of 100 grams of serving.
- Vitamin K: 26% of the daily value (DV)
- Folate: 20% of the DV
- Vitamin C: 17% of the DV
- Potassium: 14% of the DV
- Vitamin B5: 14% of the DV
- Vitamin B6: 13% of the DV
- Vitamin E: 10% of the DV
- It contains small amounts of magnesium, manganese, copper, iron, zinc, phosphorous and vitamins A, B1 (thiamine), B2 (riboflavin) and B3 (niacin).
Thus intaking of avocados regularly in your diet would definitely help you to gain weight quickly.
And at the last, I would put eggs in the list of food that would really help you a lot. Hard-boiled eggs take less than 30 minutes to get prepared and they can be stored in the refrigerator also if you not planning to consume them instantly.
A quick tip: If you are a busy person who has to go office daily early in the morning then you can make a quick breakfast with toast and that can be carried in your bag to eat on the way to work or for a snack between breakfast and lunch. Hard-boiled eggs also make a delicious source of protein on your salad at lunch also.
I will not suggest you take protein supplements to build muscle or lose weight. Natural food is sufficient to transfer your body.
Okay so enough about the food. Now let’s move on to the next section of our training.
You might be thinking that
How quickly can you gain weight?
If you take 2800-3000 calories per day, then you can gain 2 lbs a week (1 kg per week)
Become Calorie Hungry Now!
It’s said that f f you want to gain weight slowly and steadily, you should aim for 300–500 calories more than you burn each day according to the calorie calculator (we would put a link here once we make it live on the website).
If you want to gain weight fast, aim for around 700–1k calories above your maintenance level.
Thus in short in order to gain weight in a short time, you need to have intake food with high-calorie value.
It’s not necessary that you check your calorie intake daily. Just check it for the first few weeks. Just make sure that you have only healthy food only and your diet should contain protein-rich or dense foods.
Now moving on from the Food category, let’s move to some other factors or ways you can gain weight quickly.
What Is Resistance Training?
From Wikipedia, Strength training is a type of physical exercise specializing in the use of resistance to induce muscular contraction which builds the strength, anaerobic endurance, and size of skeletal muscles.
How do resistance training exercises affect your weight?
Resistance training or we can say weight training may increase your weight slightly. But remember that muscle mass weighs more than fat mass. So, though your body weight may increase, your body size may shrink. But on the positive side, muscle growth would help you to maintain a healthy metabolism.
Did you know?
Muscle burns more calories than fat, so if you build muscle and reduce fat, you’ll burn more calories all day long.
Doing all this stuff? But not gaining weight?
We have an infographic for the same! Do look at it below
Carbs and Fats
If you are serious about gaining weight quickly then eat plenty of high-carb and high-fat food. It is best to eat plenty of protein, fat, and carbs at each meal like we already stated above in the article.
You have to make sure to eat at least three meals per day and try to add in energy-dense snacks whenever possible.
10 Small Hacks to Gain Weight
- Don’t drink water before meals. This is the main rule! This can fill your stomach and make it harder to get in enough calories.
- Eat more often. Squeeze in an additional meal or snack whenever you can, such as before bed. Remember you need more calories then your body can burn!
- Like as I said earlier above in the article drink milk. Drinking whole milk to quench thirst is a simple way to get in more high-quality protein and calories.
- Try weight gainer shakes. If you’re really struggling then you can try weight gainer shakes. These are very high in protein, carbs, and calories.
- It’s not a trick but I think I should mention is that you should use bigger plates. Definitely use large plates if you’re trying to get in more calories, as smaller plates cause people to automatically eat less.
- Whenever you making coffee add cream to your coffee. This is a simple way to add in more calories.
- You can take creatine. The muscle building supplement creatine monohydrate can help you gain a few pounds in muscle weight.
- You need to get quality sleep. Sleeping properly is very important for muscle growth.
- You should always eat your proteins first and vegetables thereafter. If you have a mix of foods on your plate, eat the calorie-dense and protein-rich foods first. Eat the vegetables last.
- Don’t smoke. Smokers tend to weigh less than non-smokers, and quitting smoking often leads to weight gain.
If you have started this journey, then there is no looking back! Remember you are doing this for yourself and your body! A healthy body leads to a happy life.
Remember that when you try to lose weight or gain weight, your body resists changes by regulating your hunger levels and metabolic rate.
When you eat more calories and gain weight, you can expect your body to respond by reducing your appetite and boosting your metabolism. It’s very hard to start in the beginning but if you are consistent and well determined then it won’t take you long to gain the desired weight of your body.