You must have seen people adding vitamin c serum in their daily skincare routine. It’s because vitamin C is the actual key to maintaining an even, smooth and glowy complexion. Also, it is the best anti-aging product on the market.
We have seen people saying that they take vitamin C in their diet. But have you ever thought if your skin is directly getting vitamin c benefits or not?
Here is everything you need to know about Vitamin C serum in detail:
Why Should You Use Vitamin C Serum?
According to the study, vitamin C helps to protect the skin from many problems, including photoaging, sunburn, wrinkles, hyperpigmentation, sagging, dryness, and an uneven skin tone.
Anyone dealing with any of these skin issues should add a vitamin C serum to their skincare routine. Even if you are the one who has never faced any of these skin problems, you should also get started with adding this in your skincare routine.
Vitamin C serum is recommendable for people of all age groups. Its because dermatologists suggest that virtually everyone is at risk of sun damage. And Vitamin C protects our skin from the damage caused by the sun.
How to Choose the Best Vitamin C Serum
It is a fact that we should add vitamin C to our skincare diet, but it is also essential to choose it correctly according to your skin type.
Many dermatologists suggest that there are four key factors that you should consider when looking for a vitamin C serum:
Form of Vitamin C
Vitamin C serum has too many types. Most of its forms include L-ascorbic acid, tetrahexyldecyl ascorbate, sodium ascorbyl phosphate, ascorbyl palmitate and many more.
But all of these aren’t equal in terms of stability and absorption rate.
It is essential to note which Vitamin C has good bioavailability and penetration. Most of the experts suggest vitamin C in the form of L-ascorbic acid has the best penetration and bioavailability and is the most biologically active. However, others prefer tetrahexyldecyl ascorbate as the more effective one.
Concentration is known to be the strength of any acid. You should prefer the Vitamin C with at least 10% L-ascorbic acid; however, some products offer 15 or 20%.
The Journal of Clinical and Aesthetic suggests that you should always look for the vitamin c serum with a concentration higher than 8%. The serum with 20% concentration is the strongest and the powerful one.
It is essential to buy Vitamin C serum with a higher concentration level. But combining Vitamin C serum with vitamin E and ferulic acid increases its benefits.
Vitamin E plays an important role as an antioxidant and enhances the function of vitamin C, which helps to act as the skin barrier.
If you want a product with proper formulation, it can prove to be costly to insure appropriate stability and bioavailability. However, it doesn’t mean that expensive always has a better quality.
It is suggested that after keeping in knowledge about all these key factors, add a suitable product in your skincare routine.
When to Apply Vitamin C Serum
Experts suggest that you can apply Vitamin C serum at any time of the day. However, everything that matters is that you remember to use it as an essential requirement of your skincare routine
Now the question arises how often to use Vitamin C serum
According to experts, you may not need to use it every day. It’s because the receptors for vitamin C get saturated; hence it does not need to be applied every day.
So, you should apply the serum at least every 48 to 72 hours.
Else you need to know how to store your serum bottles to ensure potency.
It will help if you keep your vitamin C bottles in a cool, dark place. Remember, You should replace the bottle at least every sixmonths. But if your serum starts to turn brown before six months, then you should probably get a new one.
However, if you find any skincare regimen even if you are using it correctly, then your bottle shouldn’t last long.
How to Apply Vitamin C serum
Before continuing with any product on any part of your skin, You should always do a patch test to check your risk for allergic reactions. Here’s how:
- Select a small area of a body part, like your forearm as it is easy to conceal.
- Apply a small amount of product in that small area.
- Wait for at least 24 hours to see the results.
- If no side effects occur then you can apply to your face.
You should immediately discontinue its use if you develop a rash, redness, or hives.
Further, Vitamin C bottles are available with a stepwise instruction on its backside.
A preferable rule to apply Vitamin C serum is :
- Cleanse your face with your daily usable face wash
- Tone your face using a toner
- Apply vitamin C serum
- Lastly, moisturize your face using a moisturizer.
Benefits of Vitamin C Serum
- Safe for Almost All Skin Types: Vitamin C serum has a safety profile hence considered to be safe for almost all skin types. However, in a rarest to the rare case, people who have hypersensitive skin may face a minor irritation.
- Brightening & Hydrating Nature: Vitamin C serum has Magnesium ascorbyl phosphate, one of the leading vitamin C derivatives that give the hydrating effect on your skin. It also helps to deal with pigmentation and smoothen the skin’s surface to reduce dullness.
- Reduce Under-Eye Circle: vitamin C serum helps to alleviate the discoloration associated with under-eye circles.
- Promotes Collagen Production: Vitamin C promotes the production of Collagen, which is a naturally occurring protein that depletes over time. As the lower level of Collagen lead to fine lines and wrinkles.
Other Benefits :
- It reduces redness
- Get an even skin tone within a few weeks.
- It protects your skin from all types of common skin problems.